[lucida] Installing BH Lucida on teTeX

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat May 29 05:19:10 CEST 2010

On Sat 29 May 2010 14:10:16 NZST +1200, Frank Shute wrote:

> I've just bought the Bigelow & Holmes complete Lucida set and am
> having problems installing it.

I installed the Y&Y lucida fonts on tetex a few years ago. The Y&Y
instructions were basically useless (I use neither Mac nor whatever the
Y&Y typesetting system was, and those were the only things considered in
the instructions), but it wasn't too difficult. teTeX was *very* good.

[...]
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/lmrhlcm.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/omlhlcm.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/omshlcy.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/omxhlcv.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlst.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucida/ts1hlh.fd)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucida/t1hls.fd)
[...]

Your latex is loading the correct lucida-related files.
You could double-check the log file.

You also have to ensure that all other parts are finding the files
relevant to them. Here:

> $ xdvi lucida-sample.dvi
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrv
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrv.

xdvi doesn't find what it's looking for. Actually I'm not sure whether
xdvi can handle anything but pk files, and pk files are traditionally
created from metafont sources. I am not sure mktexpk is the correct
program to create pk files from type1 fonts. I don't think ttf fonts are
of any use here. And xdvi is pretty dead anyway?

I suggest you get dvips going first. You need to tell it where to find
the type1 files, and what the translation from berry name to file name
is - that goes into dvips's map file.

Use kpsewhich to check the paths are set up correctly for each program
(and format), and whether files needed for each program are found. The
updmap script of teTeX maintains a correct map file for dvips for you
(watch your umask!), if you edit updmap.cfg and list the map files you
want added. It can be a bit of an art to work out which files a
particular program needs.

Check if the re is a -recorder option, which might tell you which files
have been opened.

Ok, my xdvi.cfg file contains the line
  dvipsmap ps2pk.map
so it can make use of type1 fonts, and the mechanism seems to be shared
with dvips. That means it's probably not finding the pfb files, or the
map file doesn't list them.

HTH,

Volker

--