[lucida] Installing Lucida fonts in TeXLive

Anil V. Rao anilvrao at ufl.edu
Wed Oct 31 17:28:22 CET 2007

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am current member of TUG and have just upgraded my Y&Y license
for the Lucida fonts to the TUG license for the fonts.  I now have
a question about how to install these fonts in the TeXLive
distribution of LaTeX.

For years I have been using teTeX and have had no problem
installing the fonts (I simply created a directory called
"$/texmf/fonts/type1/lucida", copied the pfb files to this
directory, and ran mktexlsr).  However, I have recently upgraded
from OpenSuse 10.2 to OpenSuse 10.3.  In the process of the
upgrade, teTeX was clobbered and replaced by TeXLive.  I am able
to use TeXLive without the Lucida fonts, but I am completely
unable to figure out how to install the Lucida fonts in TeXLive.
The directory structure in TeXLive is completely different from
that of teTeX and I have no idea how to navigate through it to
find the correct place to put files, etc.

Just for clarification, I have the files from Y&Y, i.e., the pfb
files have the Y&Y names (e.g., lbr.pfb).  If somebody could give
me a set of instructions as to where I should place the pfb files,
other packages that I may need to download, and any other things I
need to execute (e.g., mktexlsr, updmap), I would greatly
appreciate it.

Anil V. Rao
Assistant Professor
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of Florida
314 MAE-A
P.O. Box 116250
Gainesville, FL 32611-6250