[lucida] Installing Lucida on a Macintosh

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Wed Jul 25 05:21:53 CEST 2007

On  24 Jul, 2007, at 19:31, Vic Norton wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just signed up for the Lucida list. I'll probably drop out shortly.
>
> I was trying to figure out how to install the complete Lucida package
> on a Macintosh. Thanks to Gary Gray of the OS X TeX group I have been
> able to install the package successfully.
>
> Here are the steps that worked for me:
>     1. I downloaded 'lucida-complete.zip'.
>     2. I moved this file to my '~/Library/texmf' directory
>        and changed to this directory in terminal.
>        Then the terminal command
>           unzip lucida-complete.zip
>        put everything in its proper place.
>     3. Now the command
>           sudo mktexlsr ~/Library/texmf

As Peter Dyballa said in the TeX on Mac OS X mailing list, this isn't
necessary, because TeX always looks first into your $HOME tree,
without any need for a ls-R database; what's more, now you have an
unneeded ls-R database in your $HOME tree and it is owned by root
(because of ``sudo''), if not the whole tree.

>        created the appropriate 'ls-R' file.
>     4. The final command was what I was missing. This is what Gary
> Gray
>        supplied. I needed the command
>           sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

That's what's really needed. It would be nice to have in the Lucida
web site that simple instruction for Mac and Linux and the equivalent
for Windows.

Best,

Axel