[lucida] Lucida Kerning

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 19 23:03:30 CEST 2006

Chuck's reply on kerning.  So I guess the total lack of kerns is a
"feature".

Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:48:57 -0700
From: Charles Bigelow

Hi,

B&H never made any kerning tables for the Y&Y Lucida fonts.
That much I do remember. I think that Berthold Horn did some
experiments using Ikarus "Kernus" and some other automatic
programs, but I don't know if he offered the results.

I don't have a deep seated aesthetic objection to kerning.

My attitude was minimalist. I thought that a little kerning
could be a good thing, but that it was too often overdone,
giving results that were as bad as no kerning. Since no
kerning takes no effort, I thought that was more efficient. :-)

And, I figured that anyone who cared a lot about it could do
their own. I don't mind that. So if someone wants to play
around with FontForge or whatever, I don't mind. I just won't
bother to reply to complaints about some else's kerning.

-- Chuck