[lucida] Some LaTeX symbols

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri Aug 18 00:26:38 CEST 2006

El 8/17/06 4:05 PM, "Karl Berry" <karl at freefriends.org> escribió:

>> symbol \Box is typeset as a \square, and \Diamond is typeset as
>> \lozenge. However, with cmr fonts or mathpazo, using "amssymb" plus
>> "latexsym" packages, there is a difference! \square is larger than
>> \Box, and \Diamond is not a \lonzenge but the real diamond of modal
>> logicians
>
> You mean the CM symbols are what you want and the Lucida symbols are not?
> Can you send sources/pdfs of the difference?
>
> I am not sure how to resolve this.  Suggestions welcome ...

Now I see what happens! latexsym.sty uses the lasy font for \Diamond, but as
lucidabr.sty redefines \Diamond and makes it the same as \lozenge

372 \DeclareMathSymbol{\Diamond}{\mathord}{arrows}{8}
540 \DeclareMathSymbol{\lozenge}{\mathord}{arrows}{8}

then \Diamond is taken from Lucida fonts, but if you call latexsym.sty
*after* lucidabr.sty, everything works OK.

In the following example comment out and uncomment \usepackage{latexsym} and
you'll see the change:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{lucidabr}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\begin{document}

\( \Box \quad \square \qquad \Diamond \quad \lozenge \)

$\Box$

$\square$

$\Diamond$

$\lozenge$