lucida] Lucida installation with RPM

Andreas Scherer andreas_tug at freenet.de
Sat Dec 17 11:18:41 CET 2005

Hello group,

First, many thanks to all involved for the excellent package and the smooth
service!

Second, I would like to submit a RPM spec file for creating a "real" package
of the Lucida fonts on systems that understand that packaging format. (For
systems with other packaging managers, the "alien" converter comes to help.)

After reading the recent TUGboat article by Tristan Miller
(https://www.tug.org/members/TUGboat/tb26-1/tb82miller-rpm.pdf) about "Using
the RPM package manager for (La)TeX packages", I started (sic!) using RPM for
all "local" installations on my system (SuSE 9.2 and OpenSUSE 10.0 using RPM;
and Ubuntu 5.10 using the DEB format). Instead of just extracting archives
like lucida-complete.zip into the appropriate directories of the local TDS, I
prefer to use the more advanced approach of using a genuine package manager
(i.e., the YaST interface of RPM), giving complete control over the process.

Although the probability that one would want to _un_install the Lucida fonts
approaches zero, RPM helps by registering all installed files and
directories; it's much nicer to have the package integrated with the general
setup. Moreover, the RPM spec file attached to this email introduces the
following modifications of the package installation:

(a) The "lucida" and "lucidabr" directories are merged for the documentation
and the LaTeX macro and font description files respectively.
(b) The "sources" are not extracted to the local TDS. (OK, it would be extra
fun hacking the SPEC %build step starting from scratch. ;-)
(c) The "lucida.map" file is put into TDS:/fonts/map/fontname instead of into
TDS:/fonts/map/dvips (and "lucida.ali" is not installed on my teTeX system).
"updmap" is automatically invoked after installing/uninstalling the package.

I hope that "lucida.spec" might be useful for others who acquire the Lucida
distribution. Of course, I would like to get feedback and possible
improvements. Enjoy!

Best regards
--
Andreas Scherer
Eichendorffstraße 2, 10115 Berlin, Germany