[luatex] annoying locale error

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Thu Nov 10 13:30:22 CET 2022

> [...] But this /is/ a programming language, albeit a simplistic and
> declarative one.  I don't know what its name is, but it is
> presumably the programming language of one of the various
> Unix-derived command-line interpreters ...

Well, if you argue like that then almost all output emitted by UNIX
command-line tools can be considered as a programming language...

My point is: If Joe User calls the `locale` command on the shell
prompt, he receives this output; he also has to handle such strings if
he is going to modify his locale settings.

A similar problem happens with file names in many large projects: You
often have `foo_bar.c` and `bar-baz.c`, and sometimes even
`foo_bar-baz.c`.  Mixing up `_` and `-` is even a problem if you work
with a GUI.

Note that only a small amount of programs actually complain if they
can't restore the locale (because they are going to modify it).  And I
only know of `luatex` that actually aborts in such a case.

    Werner