[luatex] Bad skips with display math

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 13 18:57:57 CET 2022

On 1/13/2022 5:46 PM, Javier Bezos wrote:

>> 👍 It didn’t occur to me to think of the old good bidi features
>> of etex and I was just playing with \...dir’s. After some simple
>> tests it seems to do the trick.
>
> After some additional tests, setting \predisplaydirection=0
> doesn’t seem the solution 🙁.
>
> Any additional suggestions on how to make luatex usable for
> serious math typesetting with RTL languages will be welcome.
> This includes the possibility of manipulations at the lua
> level (for example, I’m wondering if something similar to the
> macro \lastlinelength in sec. 7.7.2 can be used to catch and
> fix the spacing).
>
> I'm just looking for a solution. After tree weeks of fighting
> I’m somewhat desperate.
you can use callbacks to loop back overlists and see if some above glue
was added and then go back till you find a line that you can then
'repack' for testing to get the natural width

anyway, i have a patch for the r2l last line issue but as i'm in the
middle of something else it has to wait for a few days to get included
(maybe the weekend as i have to enter luatex mode)