[luatex] portable fmt between 32-bit/64-bit machines

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 8 09:42:09 CET 2022

On 2/8/2022 3:23 AM, Michal Vlasák wrote:
> On Tue Feb 8, 2022 at 1:58 AM CET, Michal Vlasák wrote:
>> I posted a few more details on github:
>>
>> https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/775#issuecomment-1032099002
>
> An update to the proposed patch (more apparent error checking, correct
> for both LuaJIT/5.1 and 5.3). And hopefully a solution to the
> portability issue at hand (at least for some architectures).
>
> https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/775#issuecomment-1032138520
>
> Hans, Luigi, what do you think?

as we have a patched lib in luatex ayway it's ok i guess

> Of course there is a runtime cost, though negligible and it brings space
> savings, which is a trade off the Lua guys have already made in 5.4.

hard to say it it saves something

> I also think that the byte swapping for big/little endian could be done.
> If the saved format is little endian there should be no cost for most
> architectures (unlike the dump sharing on TeX side).

less important i think (and it has a quite a penalty on native windows
binaries but maybe that's because of these allocations not being optimized)

> Kind of related:
>
> https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/dev-luatex/2021-July/006501.html
whatever we do it should be a compile time option (if only to not give
people yet another reason to complain that luatex is so slow)