[luatex] portable fmt between 32-bit/64-bit machines

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 7 09:58:23 CET 2022

On 2/7/2022 9:15 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> Hi,
> here
> https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/775
> <https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/775>
> there is an issue about the portability of the lua bytecode .
> Suggestions ?
> In any case, the patches are  not for TeXLive 2022 .
Even with a patsh (not sure which one i only see akira mentioning the
size of a blob) it is not guaranteed to be portable and formats are
already not portable (endian wise) so why bother ... just make a new
format, right? We've dealt with it for > 15 years so ... anyway, Karl
doesn't mind if nothing changes so we're not really in a hurry ...
indeed not for upcoming.

Btw, can't windows 32 be compiled with 64 bit pointers? Does the same
issue occur with the mingw binaries?