[luatex] Ligatures

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Fri Mar 19 11:09:35 CET 2021

Hans Hagen wrote:

> it looks ok here; the font no dflt script so you need to activate the
> latn script for ligatures to work

Thank you Hans, but I am suprised that it looked OK at your end.  At
this end, and following your suggestion, all of the lines in the
following example now display the correct ligatures, but in my earlier
example, with no 'script=latn', only the first (Adobe Minion Pro)
produced ligatures.  Are you able to explain why LuaTeX does the right
thing with Adobe Minion Pro in the absence of a 'script=latn' but does
not with the other three fonts tried ?

/Philip Taylor
--------
/

\ifcsname directlua\endcsname \input luaotfload.sty \fi

\font \bodyfont = "Minion Pro"
\centerline {\bodyfont Minion is a genuinely fit subject}
\font \bodyfont = "Adobe Caslon Pro:script=latn"
\centerline {\bodyfont Caslon is a genuinely fit subject}
\font \bodyfont = "Adobe Garamond Pro:script=latn"
\centerline {\bodyfont Garamond is a genuinely fit subject}
\font \bodyfont = "Garamond Premier Pro:script=latn"
\centerline {\bodyfont Garamond is a genuinely fit subject}

\end