[luatex] how many bytes for fontdimens?

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 3 09:09:47 CEST 2021

On 8/2/2021 9:37 PM, jfbu wrote:
> forgot to mention that I am aware a \fontdimen is limited to 2**30 strictly anyhow
>
> but my question is whether such « arrays » are stored 32bits or 64bits itemwise
it happens to be an array of 32 bit integers (that grows on demand) but
such implementaiton details are unspecified (could as well have been a
sparse array in which case each entry that is actually set has more

also, the fact that it grow is a sort of side effect of the fact that
tfm fonts can have 7 or more, but 7 are used, for text upto more for
math fonts

so, i wouldn't rely on these properties too much