[luatex] lualatex cannot process paths containing a tilde (~) correctly

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Thu Nov 26 12:45:00 CET 2020

Matthias Deeg wrote:
> TEXNAME comes from the lualatex or luahbtex help and had in my examples
> the following values:
>
> The beginning of the lualatex help text on my system is as follows:
>
> $ lualatex --help
> Usage: luahbtex --lua=FILE [OPTION]... [TEXNAME[.tex]] [COMMANDS]
>     or: luahbtex --lua=FILE [OPTION]... \FIRST-LINE
>     or: luahbtex --lua=FILE [OPTION]... &FMT ARGS
>    Run LuaHBTeX on TEXNAME, usually creating TEXNAME.pdf.
>    Any remaining COMMANDS are processed as luatex input, after TEXNAME is
> read.
>
>    Alternatively, if the first non-option argument begins with a backslash,
>    luahbtex interprets all non-option arguments as an input line.
>
>    Alternatively, if the first non-option argument begins with a &, the
>    next word is taken as the FMT to read, overriding all else.  Any
>    remaining arguments are processed as above.
>
>    If no arguments or options are specified, prompt for input.
> (...)

Then I would suggest that either the help text is inaccurate or the
implementation is non-compliant, depending on which one regards as
authoritative.  [TEXNAME[.tex]] is in no way treated specially — if it
includes anything other than \catcode {letter|other} characters, they
will be interpreted by TeX just as if they were in a TeX source file.

Philip Taylor