[luatex] lualatex cannot process paths containing a tilde (~) correctly

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Thu Nov 26 12:02:06 CET 2020

Now I am confused, Matthias — where does "TEXNAME" come into it ?  In
your example, there was no instance of "TEXNAME" but rather a direct use
of the tilde :
> $ lualatex "/home/matt/reports/test~report/report.tex"
Are you now saying that that was not the actual test, but that what you
actually wrote was :

> $ lualatex TEXNAME

where "TEXNAME" was an logical name, environment variable, or similar ?

Anyhow, regardless of whether or not the tilde was explicit or implicit,
it will be processed by TeX, and will therefore be subject to expansion.
Consider this from another perspective — if you were to write :

> $ tex \expandafter \def \csname my:file\endcsname {Source.tex}\input
> \csname my:file\endcsname

you would expect TeX to try to open a file "Source.tex", would you not
?  And indeed it does :

> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2020/W32TeX) (preloaded
> format=tex)
>
> *\end
> ! I can't find file `Source.tex'.
> <to be read again>
>                    \end
> <*> \end
>
> (Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit)
> Please type another input file name:

Thus /everything/ that follows the imperative "tex" at the command
prompt is interpreted as TeX source, and is not interpreted specially
just because it /might/ be a file name.

/Philip Taylor/