[luatex] fio library byte order

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:53:02 CEST 2020

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 3:27 AM Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
wrote:

> I don't understand.  All format files in TeX Live work on all systems.
> They have a distinct byte order and are portable among all systems
> supported by TeX Live.  What do you mean if you say "formats are no
> longer portable"?

https://tug.org/texinfohtml/web2c.html
3.5.2.3 Hardware and memory dumps
:
TeXnically, even without ‘--disable-dump-share’, sharing of .fmt files
cannot be guaranteed to work. Floating-point values are always written in
native format, and hence will generally not be readable across platforms.
Fortunately, TeX uses floating point only to represent glue ratios, and all
common formats (plain, LaTeX, AMSTeX, …) do not do any glue setting at
.fmt-creation time. Metafont does not use floating point in any dumped
value at all.
:

--
luigi