[luatex] This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 -- lualatex.fmt was written by luatex

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Jun 25 10:34:53 CEST 2020

Hi Knut,

> There definitely was no old format file in the cwd or somewhere else in or below $HOME, it really were outdated fmtutil.cnf / lualatex.fmt in the texmf tree. I agree that an error in the update process is a case for a bugreport to openSuSE.

Ok.

Why the fmtutil.cnf was outdated, that is again a question for the
OpenSUSE Team, not us.

>    knut at golem:~/foo> rm TRACE*; strace -v -f -ff -s 8192 -o TRACE lualatex Teilnehmer20200627.tex
>    This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 (TeX Live 2020/TeX Live for SUSE Linux)
>      restricted system commands enabled.

That doesn't work, well, it should actually

>    kpathsea: Running mktexfmt lualatex.fmt
>    mktexfmt [ERROR]: -user mode but path setup is -sys type, bailing out.

You seem to have some env variables set that makes fmtutil believe that
it is running in sysmode.

Do you have
	TEXMVAR=$TEXMFSYSVAR
?

> Let's summarize: The engine fails if there is a broken or outdated format file.

Because the **link** from
	lualatex -> luahbtex
is probably there, but the format definition is wrong. That does not go
well together.

>    fmtutil --no-engine-subdir --fmtdir=.  --byfmt lualatex.fmt'

THat is all not a good idea, why not do
	sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt lualatex
?

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev