[luatex] Where can I learn more about catcodes in LuaTeX?

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 22:25:52 CEST 2020

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:11 PM Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I just sent a question about catcodes that had the wrong tone...

nothing wrong to me

> So, how can I do things like inspecting catcodes and changing them
> from Lua?

it's better to open luatex.pdf with a pdfreader like evince,  latest mupdf
,
okular, adobe reader... and search for catcode.

> I am quite outsider-ish in the LuaTeX community, and I have the
> sensation that I don't even know where are the forums in which the
> discussions are happening... so:
>
> Please, people, if you have any pointers that you believe that may be
> useful to me, I'd like to see them - and private messages are welcome.

1) use \logginall ... \tracingnone just around the chunk of tex code, ie
\loggingall%
\catcode`\^^J=10
\directlua{dofile "test.lua"}\tracingnone
and for lualatex
\loggingall%
\begin{verbatim}
foo
  poo
    boo
\end{verbatim}\tracingnone

At least you can see where they differ.

2) learn a bit of context to check how / if the result changes:
--[==[ test-ctx.lua ]==]
str = [[
\starttyping
foo
  poo
    boo
\stoptyping
]]
print(str)

%% test-ctx.tex
\starttext
\starttyping
foo
  foo
    foo
\stoptyping

\directlua{dofile "test-ctx.lua"}
\stoptext

eventually use \logginall..\tracingnone

3) look into context code
texmf-dist/tex/context/base/mkiv
almost every answer is there.

4) sometimes   context mailing list  can answer to luatex questions

--
luigi