[luatex] luatex and harfbuzz 2.5.1

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 09:04:51 CEST 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 8:48 PM luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:

> In experimental there is now
> luatex 1.11.0 with harfbuzz 2.5.1
> It follows from the development of harftex by K. Hosny.
> Please note that the code is
> 1) in experimental
> 2) marked as work in progress
> so  it can stay as is, it can be changed , it can be removed completely.

In experimental and in texlive there are now luatex &  luahbtex and jit
variants.
Briefly, after some discussions emerged the point that luatex with hb
statically linked
very likely doesn't work in workflows that already use luatex with a
dynamic  binding with a dll/so version of harfbuzz,
even considering the API stability of harfbuzz itself and the fact that now
the hb symbols are hidden.
In this way we preserve the workflows that use luatex, because there is no
harfbuzz code in luatex.

It's better to think   luahbtex  as "luatex + a binding to harfbuzz."
and not as a variant of luatex adapted to harfbuzz.
So any change in luatex will be in luahbtex, because there is a single
source.
On the other side, the only constrain  on the hb binding is that it cannot
modify the luatex source,
so in principle it can grow to cover all the  harfbuzz API  --- there are
of course others constrains to consider
as maintenance and compatibility with formats, just to say the  most
obvious.

--
luigi