[luatex] lyluatex compile problems

R. Padraic Springuel rpspringuel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:40:00 CEST 2018

For embedding audio files in a pdf using LaTeX, I would start by looking at media9, as suggested on TeX StackExchange (https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/89706/audio-examples-in-phonetics-project/89741#89741).  I haven't played with it to see whether it can embed midi directly, but it looks promising.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Br. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm's Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-674-1682
PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

> [...]
>> loads a number of packages. But AFAIK there are no *special* packages
>> needed that aren't available in regular TeX Live (I just don't know
>> what happens if you haven't installed texlive-full).
>>> 2) Are there any other unforseen issues compiling it you know of
>>> that could save me time before I delve into it myself ?
>> From what I can see in your communications I'm not 100% confident you
>> have set up LilyPond properly already.
>> lyluatex does its work by calling LilyPond as an external command, so
>> that has to be a) installed and b) found by lyluatex.
>> If you don't have a working environment I suggest downloading the
>> current development version from http://lilypond.org/development.html
>> (they are not at all "unstable" in the case of LilyPond) and
>> installing it (I don't know what OS you are having).
>> If you are on a UNIX OS and can run "lilypond --version" after the
>> installation everything should be fine, but if you have to specify any
>> other command line you have to provide this to lyluatex through the
>> [program={path/to/lilypond/executable}] option.
>> If you still have errors after that please report with more details -
>> we have tried to make the error handling as informative as possible -
>> but do so on the lyluatex issue tracker, not here.
>>> This is possibly the best music typeset software that I have seen in
>>> my life.
>>> I cannot think of anything that can beat it.
>>> Enormous !!!
>>> Hope the Universities at least will use it and stop teaching people
>>> to be Joe-mousepusher.
>> Having literally spent years with this topic I can't give you too much
>> hope about this :-(
>> Best
>> Urs
>>> Thanks
>>> On 2018-07-29 12:28, Urs Liska wrote:
>>> Am 29.07.2018 um 17:59 schrieb liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com:
>>> a) Ok good to know that explains the compiling problems
>>> fundamentally.
>>> If the manual were a lyluatex file it would have been one of the
>>> greatest tutorials right there.
>>> What I tried to compile is the manual in the zip download here
>>> "https://ctan.org/pkg/lyluatex?lang=en" [1]
>>> Which seemed to be the  lyluatex code, but I am seemingly mistaken.
>>> No, you're not mistaken. I wasn't aware of the fact that the script
>>> preparing the CTAN upload actually produced that lyluatex.tex file.
>>> b) Ok
>>> c) Ok I saw that, but where that was mentioned there was no direct
>>> compile instruction. The option --shell-escape was mentioned in the
>>> body text and there was no direct compile command.
>>> If
>>> "lualatex --shell-escape somefile.tex"
>>> were in the instructions I did not have to ask this question, but it
>>> is absent.
>>> Would be a good idea to add that.
>>> I'll try to keep that in mind. It would be great if you could open
>>> Question: