[luatex] Computer code listings in attractive labeled boxes

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd at writersglen.com
Wed Feb 7 18:37:00 CET 2018

Help!

I’m a long-time lyx user, but brand new to LuaTeX.

I need to know if something is possible and, if so, guidance on how to do it.

My co-author and I have written a computer programming book and typeset it with lyx. It has several hundred code listings. We first formatted the listings with available lyx tools. But they were rather ugly. My co-author found a way to make them more attractive, but the process is kludgy and inordinately time-consuming.

We need a better way.

I’m digging into LuaTeX docs. So far I’ll found tantalizing hints. But it’s still not clear whether or not we can really accomplish in LuaTeX what I hope we can do. From my notes:

Need to know how to:

Create LuaTeX functions
Call LuaTeX functions from lynx
Create LuaTeX function to display block of code with normal, bold, and strikeout characters
Create LuaTeX function to display chapter number (CN)
Create LuaTeX function to display listing number (LN)
  6.  Create LuaTeX function to display listing header:
              “Listing <CN>.<LN> <comment>
   7. Create LuaTeX function to display an attractive box around
               listing header and code block
    8. Automate or efficiently replace all listings in current Build It  lyx file

Can some LuaTeX wizard guide us through to success?

Many thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad