[luatex] node.new does not accept subtype as string

Henri Menke henrimenke at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:15:38 CEST 2018

Dear list,

I was trying to dissect math lists and insert my own trash there.
According to the LuaTeX manual for node.new one can supply id and
subtype as strings.  That means that this

   node.new(18,5)

should be equivalent to

   node.new("noad","rel")

Unfortunately this does not create a noad of subtype rel but subtype
ord.  It seems as if the numbers of the subtypes correspond to their
index in node_subtypes_noad in texnodes.w.

I just wonder, is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?  A non-working
minimal example can be found below.

Cheers, Henri

---

\directlua{