[luatex] slower texlua at LuaTeX 1.0.4 (TL 2017) ?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 2 18:29:36 CEST 2017

On 6/2/2017 6:10 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 02/06/2017 18:05, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> don't forget transmitting your optimized remarks to Joseph next
>>> time you see him
>> I'm not into this expl3 (beyond me which is no problem as I don't need
>> it) so I can't improve his code I bet.
>
> For raw speed in TeX, you will never do better than well-written
> primitive code. The problem is looking after the code or for the
> non-expert! (Look at Bruno's FPU or regex code: all as fast as it can
> be, all *very* hairy to read.) And of course if one *knows* you are tied
> to LuaTeX then some things will be faster/easier in Lua.
sure, and i'm pretty well aware of how to optimize primitive code, but
as yopu say reading someone else's (esp optimized) code is a pain and
for me it's more fun to write from scratch anyway as that's the only way
i can make myself understand things

(btw, i'm occasionally surprised that what i thought was 'as fast as can
be' could be made 'even faster')

(and not all is faster in lua as tex itself is pretty fast; not that i'm
disappointed by lua)