[luatex] slower texlua at LuaTeX 1.0.4 (TL 2017) ?

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Jun 2 18:10:05 CEST 2017

On 02/06/2017 18:05, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> don't forget transmitting your optimized remarks to Joseph next
>> time you see him
> I'm not into this expl3 (beyond me which is no problem as I don't need
> it) so I can't improve his code I bet.

For raw speed in TeX, you will never do better than well-written
primitive code. The problem is looking after the code or for the
non-expert! (Look at Bruno's FPU or regex code: all as fast as it can
be, all *very* hairy to read.) And of course if one *knows* you are tied
to LuaTeX then some things will be faster/easier in Lua.

Joseph