[luatex] MWE now failing with recent TeX Live update

Javier Bezos listas at tex-tipografia.com
Fri Mar 18 19:02:12 CET 2016

> I had  the auxiliary macros there from my previous experiment to
> load simply patterns. This here gives an error as \bbl at csarg  is
> undefined:
>
> \documentclass[]{article}
> \makeatletter
> \input luababel.def
> \makeatother
>
> \begin{document}
> \makeatletter\bbl at patterns@lua{ngerman}\makeatother
> Minister Minister

In fact, there is no need to load patterns this way. I mistakenly
added languages to the options list in babel in a previous post
because it's necessary if no multilingual package is required (well,
some people don't like neither babel nor polyglossia, and rely
on its own macros). But once polyglossia is called it loads them.

The only real issue here is both babel and polyglossia expects
languages (in the TeX sense, ie, \language) are defined (\l at english,
\l at german, \l at french, etc.). But if they are defined - and this
is basically what luababel.def does when it's loaded at this point
- then there are no problems (hopefully).

Let me say I'm a bit surprised by this. I didn't expect something
so simple. So simple I find it suspicious :-).

But the following works for me:

----------------------------------
\documentclass{article}

\makeatletter
\input luababel.def
\makeatother

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setmainlanguage{german}
\setotherlanguages{spanish,french,english}

\begin{document}
\showhyphens{supercalifragilisticoexpialidociuos}
% the extra o is intended

\selectlanguage{english}
\showhyphens{supercalifragilisticoexpialidociuos}

\selectlanguage{french}
\showhyphens{supercalifragilisticoexpialidociuos}

\selectlanguage{spanish}
\showhyphens{supercalifragilisticoexpialidociuos}

\end{document}