[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 24 01:59:59 CEST 2016

On 6/23/2016 11:11 AM, Jan Matějka wrote:
>> Aren't the csr fonts essentially extended cm fonts with accented
>> characters for latin2 range? If so can't you just use a
>> computer-modern based  unicode font such as latin modern?
>
> Yes, they are. No, we can't.
>
>> It is possible to do all the re-encodings necessary to use a classic
>> 8bit font, but why, when existing extensions of computer modern to
>> much larger ranges exist?
>
> Because of nuances in final result. See the attachments. One was
> generated by running

In that case, stick to using pdftex (or find someone who is willing to
spend time on making a setup for that specific font encoding in an
otherwise unicode environment).

It's not that hard to use a type 1 font (just \font\csr10.afm with the
appropriate features enabled should work, of if not one can construct a
virtual unicode font using built in vf features). I already had a look
at where to find the fonts, and tried again, but (1) the csr fonts are
not in ctan's font directory, (2) the several cs related packages don't
seem to come with afm files, and (3) I can't motivate myself to go back
in time, so you have to fall back on those who ship and maintain those
packages.

As said, if you mostly use a fixed set of fonts and plain tex, and
depend on others for support, I suggest you stick to pdftex. as there is
not much to gain with luatex then. Keep in min dthat when you manage to
use the old font encoding somehow, you also have to deal with patterns
files in that encoding.

Of course you can also make an active character mapping (as you
mentioned before) which might be enough for your case.