[luatex] luatex - font encoding for type 1 fonts

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:53:49 CEST 2016

On Thursday 23 June 2016 09:40:05 David Carlisle wrote:
> Aren't the csr fonts essentially extended cm fonts with accented
> characters for latin2 range?

Yes.

> If so can't you just use a
> computer-modern based  unicode font such as latin modern?

Currently no.

There are two reasons:

1) I want be able to compile old documents without change in luatex
(switch from pdftex to luatex with ability to compile old documents)

2) Latin Modern fonts are some problems, like missing (or incorrect)
kerning between some pairs frequently used in Slovak texts (Vý or Vď).
So currently I would like to still use csfonts as those have better
quality.

> It is possible to do all the re-encodings necessary to use a classic
> 8bit font

Can you give me some hints how to do that?

> but why, when existing extensions of computer modern to
> much larger ranges exist?

See 1) and 2).

--
Pali Rohár