[luatex] upcoming release

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 6 16:55:29 CEST 2015

Hi,

One of these days we're going to release 0.80.1 and in addition to some
fixes there also has been some cleanups (more to come).

A couple of primitives are removed, renamed and/or promoted to core
(luatex) primitives. Here's a summary. It might demand some adaption in
the way macro packages initialize so we will mention them here
explicitly in advance. As shown below, a simple way to get backward
compatibility is to \let old ones to new ones. So,

    Updating to this version also might demand an update in the
    macro package that you use!

Here we go:

% removed, can be done with callbacks if needed, one can define dimen
dummies, like

\newdimen\pdfeachlineheight
\newdimen\pdfeachlinedepth
\newdimen\pdflastlinedepth
\newdimen\pdffirstlineheight
\newdimen\pdfignoreddimen

% removed, were already obsolete, one can \let them

\let\pdftexversion \luatexversion
\let\pdftexrevision\luatexrevision
\let\pdftexbanner  \luatexbanner

% promoted (from pdftex), so pdf prefix gone, one can \let them

\let\pdfnormaldeviate \normaldeviate
\let\pdfuniformdeviate\uniformdeviate
\let\pdfsetrandomseed \setrandomseed
\let\pdfrandomseed    \randomseed

% promoted (from omega), so pdf prefix gone, one can \let them

\let\pdfpagewidth \pagewidth
\let\pdfpageheight\pageheight

% redundant (etex wins over omega), so \font-less ones gone, one can
\let them

\let\chardp\fontchardp
\let\charht\fontcharht
\let\charit\fontcharit
\let\charwd\fontcharwd

% promoted (from aleph)

\pagerightoffset
\pagebottomoffset

% promoted (from pdftex)

\ifincsname
\expanded
\quitvmode

% removed (from pdftex), so *pdf* ones gone, one can \let them

\let\ifpdfabsnum   \ifabsnum
\let\ifpdfabsdim   \ifabsdim
\let\ifpdfprimitive\ifprimitive
\let\pdfprimitive  \primitive

% promoted (from omega)

\pagedir
\bodydir
\pardir
\textdir
\mathdir

% promoted (from aleph)

\boxdir

% promoted (from pdftex)

\lpcode
\rpcode
\efcode
\leftmarginkern
\rightmarginkern

\tagcode
\letterspacefont

% promoted (from pdftex), so *pdf* ones gone, one can \let them

\let\pdfprotrudechars\protrudechars
\let\pdfadjustspacing\adjustspacing

\let\pdfnoligatures  \ignoreligaturesinfont
\let\pdffontexpand   \expandglyphsinfont

% promoted (from pdftex), so *pdf* ones gone, one can \let them

\let\pdfsavepos \savepos
\let\pdflastxpos\lastxpos
\let\pdflastypos\lastypos

% on the todo list are:

\pdfoutput         : \outputmode
\pdfmatrix         : will get a normal syntax, no weird { } parsing

\pdfcolorstackinit : might become obsolete
\pdfcolorstack     : might become obsolete

So, apart from a few, the \pdf* primitives now relate to the backend only.

% There is also a new primitive:

\hyphenationmin

This one determines the minimum word length (per language). At the same
time we moved the (ex)hyphenpenalties in the disc nodes so you can
inject discretionaries with specific penalties.

There will also be an updated manual.