[luatex] behavior of \write in LuaTeX differs from the one of PdfTeX/XeTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 25 22:28:42 CET 2015

On 3/25/2015 9:00 PM, jfbu wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> sorry if this follow-up threatens to bring the thread off-list but
> out of curiosity
>
> where is the -8bit option documented? all info I could get is from
>
> pdftex --help
>
> -8bit                   make all characters printable by default
>
> man pdftex did not bring anything, and in the PdfTeX pdftex-a.pdf
> a search for 8bit does not bring anything either
>
> I am not sure I understand what "make all characters printable by default"
> says exactly. I know now that a catcode 12 ^^M will be printed as
> character with ascii code 13, is that all there is to it? and how does
> that related to "8bit" ?

it means that characters < 32 will be output as byte and not as
^^<letter> which is needed for proper round-trip usage and also makes
files acceptable for other applications

btw, the -translate-file option can be used for input mapping

luatex is an utf8 engine and if you want something not-8 bit or utf you
can use callbacks to implement whatever you want

in addition to this there are also catcodes involved and how these are
set up depends on the macro package (for instance you use \obeylines
which quite certainly has a different implementation in different
macropackages and that influences input end-of-line handling too)