[luatex] Poor Spacing in the \frac Environment

Ulrik Vieth ulrik.vieth at arcor.de
Mon Jan 19 01:58:41 CET 2015

Not sure if my previous reply was clearly enough.

I am not convinced if anything is really wrong. The behaviour can be
understood in the way the different spacing mechanisms play out.

The position of the numerator is presumably chosen in such a way,
so that descenders (e.g. g, \gamma) and subscripts (e.g. x_{0})
can be placed without causing any shift-up relative to the baseline.
As a result, there will be a significant gap below L in the numerator.

The position of the denominator, however, is chosen in such way,
so that ascenders just fit tightly below the fraction rule,
whereas superscripts (e.g. x^{2}) may cause an extra shift-down.
As a result, there will be a smaller gap above T in the denominator.

One might argue that the position of the denominator could be
shifted down, so that the gaps below L and above T should be equal.
This needs to be carefully balanced with other requirements,
e.g. that the gap below x_{0} and above x^{2} should be equal.

In any case, this requires careful testing with a lot of examples
as part of the font development, not just a few particular cases.

Since TeX Gyre math is not frozen yet, it might well be possible
to apply some improvements, if there are good reasons to do so.

It might be helpful to collect interesting examples as test cases
such as this one.

Regards,
Ulrik Vieth