[luatex] Poor Spacing in the \frac Environment

Ulrik VIeth ulrik.vieth at arcor.de
Mon Jan 19 01:14:27 CET 2015

Good question.

I didn't have time to experiment, what (if anything) is wrong,
but I can try to give some explanations.
(see also https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-1/tb94vieth.pdf)

In general, there are 2 different mechanisms at play here.

There is one set of font metrics parameters which determines the default
position of the numerator or denominator relative to the fraction bar,
which applies as long when symbols aren't too big.
This is what applies to \frac{xxxxxxLLLLLL}{xxxxxxTTTTTT}.

There is another set of parameters which ensures a minimum clearance
above or below the fraction bar, which applies when symbols get bigger,
e.g. when symbols have superscipts or subscripts attached.
This is what applies to \frac{2(x-1)-(x^{2}-1)}{(x^{2}-1)(x-1)}.

Presumably the parameters for the default positioned are tuned for
lowercase symbols of x-height, not necessarily for capital letters.

In your case the numerators has no descenders below the baseline,
but the denominator has ascenders above x-height, so the gap above
the rule looks big for L, but the gap below looks small for T.

If you had descenders in the numerator, e.g. J or g, or \gamma,
the gap above the rule would be smaller without shifting the position.
Likewise, if you had subscripts such asx_{0} in the numerator,
the gap above the rule would be smaller without shifting the position.

In general, there will always be some cases, where the spacing might
look a little uneven, especially if you have ascenders or descenders.
Just try all combinations of fractions involving \alpha (x-height),
\beta (asc + desc), \gamma (only desc) and \delta (only asc).
Then try adding superscripts (^{2}) or subscripts (_{0}) as well.

The trick is finding default parameters, which are big enough to
accommodate standard stuff x^2 or x_0 without any extra shifting,
but which do not leave too much or too little optical gaps either.

Regards,
Ulrik Vieth.

P.S: If you are really interested, I once wrote a paper, where I
discussed the reasoning how the values for math font parameters
might be determined.
(see
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/math/math-support/vieth2008.pdf)