[luatex] shrinking italics

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue May 28 22:28:19 CEST 2013

	Hello Thérèse,

  Thank you for the very precise bug report.  I actually have Adobe
Jenson Pro, but in a much older version (1.01299), and unfortunately I'm
not able to reproduce your problem.

  I can however observe something in the PDF you sent: pdffonts reports
that it contains three fonts, namely

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
YQTGAU+AJensonPro-Regular            CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      6  0
FOLTBU+AJensonPro-It                 CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      7  0
OCAHSN+AJensonPro-ItCapt             CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     11  0

where "Capt" in the name of the last one must stand for "caption",
Adobe's lingo for the smallest optical size in their fonts.  That would
explain why your text is suddenly much too small; but unfortunately I
don't know why issuing \itshape twice in a row confuses fontspec.

  You could try two things, however:

  1. Delete the name database in the cache (it should be in
     luatex-cache/generic/names, next to where the font cache is).  I
can't guarantee that it will work better, but it's always worth a try.

  2. TeX Live 2013 is being finalised, and you can download a
     pre-release version (see http://tug.org/texlive/pretest.html for
details).  Unfortunately there is no straightforward way to upgrade from
TeX Live 2012, it's best to just re-download everything.  A lot of work
has been done recently on luaotfload, the low-level font loader on which
fontspec relies for LuaTeX, and it's quite possible that using this
version will help.  In fact, that's what I'm using myself, and I still
have the weird behaviour where the italic font is included twice, but
luaotfload seems to at least pick the right one each time:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
ADXFMD+AJensonPro-Regular            CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      4  0
SFXVJW+AJensonPro-It                 CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      5  0
ZUHANK+AJensonPro-It                 CID Type 0C       yes yes yes     11  0

  So there's hope yet :-)  (Including the font twice should clearly be
considered a bug, but at least it doesn't affect the visual display).

	Best,

		Arthur