[luatex] mkluatexfontdb devours memory

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Sat May 11 12:41:14 CEST 2013

Élie Roux wrote:
>  >
>> I'll happily do this, but unfortunately I don't even know what you are
>> talking about …
>> So far I've never built luatex from source, I don't know what dbg is and
>> I've never heard of valgrind … is this something that can be done by a
>> few lines of input that you can offer me or do I have to dig into
>> building luatex? (If so, I'll try to, but it may take some time …)
>
> It's not simple, but it's not complex neither:
>
> First install some packages:
>
> sudo aptitude install build-essential autopoint subversion gdb valgrind
>
> I don't think some are missing, but it's not easy to test...
>
> svn co https://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/trunk
> cd trunk
> ./build.sh --debug --make
>
> Here it might output errors, if it does it means you should install more
> packages, please tell me the errors if there are some.

Surprisingly, this worked on my totally broken Arch Linux so far … I get
no error messages, seems to be fine.

> sudo cp /usr/bin/luatex /usr/bin/luatex-old
> sudo cp build/texk/web2c/luatex /usr/bin/luatex
> fmtutil --byengine luatex

But this does not work, the .ini files are not found:

[130] arno at tiger> fmtutil --byengine luatex

fmtutil: running `luatex -ini   -jobname=dvilualatex
-progname=dvilualatex dvilualatex.ini' ...
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.77.0-2013051112 (rev 4635)  (INITEX)
! I can't find file `dvilualatex.ini'.
<*> dvilualatex.ini

Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
<*> dvilualatex.ini

This comes for all luatex-based formats. The .ini files and bins are
located at

/home/texlive2013/texmf-dist/tex/plain/config/luatex.ini
/home/texlive2013/bin/x86_64-linux/luatex

Is this a problem? Everything is owned by arno, not by root. Calling
luatex reports v0.77, so it is found correctly.

Not related to the original problem, but something definitely is wrong
here …

cheers
Arno