[luatex] mkluatexfontdb devours memory

Élie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat May 11 12:08:09 CEST 2013

> I'll happily do this, but unfortunately I don't even know what you are
> talking about …
> So far I've never built luatex from source, I don't know what dbg is and
> I've never heard of valgrind … is this something that can be done by a
> few lines of input that you can offer me or do I have to dig into
> building luatex? (If so, I'll try to, but it may take some time …)

It's not simple, but it's not complex neither:

First install some packages:

sudo aptitude install build-essential autopoint subversion gdb valgrind

I don't think some are missing, but it's not easy to test...

svn co https://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/trunk
cd trunk
./build.sh --debug --make

Here it might output errors, if it does it means you should install more
packages, please tell me the errors if there are some.

sudo cp /usr/bin/luatex /usr/bin/luatex-old
sudo cp build/texk/web2c/luatex /usr/bin/luatex
fmtutil --byengine luatex

then go in the directory where luaotfload-tool.lua is, run

kpsewhich luaotfload-tool.lua

to know it.

Then run

valgrind -v --leak-check=full texlua luaotfload-tool.lua 2>report.log

And see how it goes... It should create a report.log file with things
you can paste us... If it's just never ending, then it's a dead end, and
I'm not sure I can teach you C debugging with gdb in this email... If
it's a dead end, I could try directly on your machine if you have a ssh
access (meaning a public IP address) or teamviewer (works fine for Linux).

Please tell me how it goes!
--
Elie