[luatex] detailed 'diagnostic' of MikTeX/Lua*/fontspec issues
evan.cooch at cornell.edu
Sat Jun 29 22:03:17 CEST 2013
> But, this fails too. Terminates with 'unexpected condition'. But, I
> think this is spurious since it bombs when it gets to my working
> directory. It seems to grind through TEXMF and OS just fine.
> But, if I try luaotfload-tool -vv, it doesn't actually print out any
> loaded fonts. luaotfload-tool -f doesn't do anything either.
> Thinking my 'tweak' to lualibs-dir.lua might be the culprit, I revert
> to the original file.
> Alas, no happiness. I even tried some fonts that are in the OS font
> subdirectory -- makes no difference.
> After 3-4 other 'experiments', I conclude...
Found an earlier post from Ulrike Fisher pointing out a problem with
lualatexiniconfig.tex, and unicode-math. I don't think that is the
issue, but, nonetheless, tweaked the file as follows:
tex.extraprimitives('etex', 'pdftex', 'umath'))
But, not only didn't that immediately fix things, but I didn't expect it
to, since the compile fails if I don't use unicode-math at all! All I
need to do is call fontspec, and things crash and burn, no matter which
font I try to set as main font (in TEXMF or OS).
So, the problem goes beyond unicode-math...
As a related aside, I tried luaotfload-tool again
luaotfload-tool --update --force
and if fails -- exits with 'unexpected condition'. What is strange (or
telling) is that if I look at it while its running, it shows be th
blacklisted files, then scans TEXMF and OS fonts, and then starts
scanning the working directory where I opened the command prompt. Its at
that point that it fails. Even something simple like
fails - same 'unexpected condition'.
So other random bits which might be relevant:
1\ There is a directory C:\USERS\me\$TEXMFCACHE which doesn't exist on
any of my other machines. It has a couple of subdirs, but is essentially
empty. If I delete it, and rerun luaotfload-tool --update --force, it
gets recreated, but is empty -- and, I get an API Error 5: Access is
denied (which makes no sense since my user account is an admin account!).
2\ In \local\MikTeX\2.9\luatex-cache\generic\names I see the database
otfl-names.lua. If I open it up, I see all the fonts (including the XITS
font I used in the MWE - when it was compiling).
3\ If I rename the db file (equivalent to deleting it), I try to rebuild
use luaotfload-tool --update --force, no new file gets created (not
surprisingly, since there is an 'exception', the process doesn't finish).
More information about the luatex