[luatex] detailed 'diagnostic' of MikTeX/Lua*/fontspec issues

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Jun 29 21:56:12 CEST 2013

Hi Evan!

···<date: 2013-06-29, Saturday>···<from: Evan Cooch>···

> For a variety of reasons, luaotfload doesn't 'find' fonts in TEXMF,
> so you need to hack lualibs-dir.lua, as per
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/47156/luaotfload-cant-find-fonts
>
> Basically, you add
>
> P("(")  / "%%(" +
> P(")")  / "%%)" +

That modifies the globbing mechanism globally which is not a good
idea because other packages might depend on its exact behavior.

> step 12\ Now, before I try the compile of the MWE *with* the
> 'fontspc stuff', I jump out to have a look at lualibs-dir.lua, which
> I suspect has been over-written by a 'new' version.  Suspicion
> confirmed -- and, the lines that need to be tweaked/patched are now
> further down in the file (around line 153).  So, make the

That won’t have any effect as the file isn’t loaded directly but
rather as part of a combined version of all the libraries; see
the manual. Also, since a good deal of the required functionality
comes prepackaged in the fontloader, luaotfload does not anymore
load the lualibs during a Luatex run. (luaotfload-tool does,
though.) Instead, there’s a separate version of l-dir named
luaotfload-lib-dir.lua, so you’ll have to patch that one too.

> tweak...and try the lualatex compile of MWE with 'fontspec stuff'
> included.
>
> And, here is where it all fails -- get the following error message:
>
> luaotfload | db: Font names database no found, generating a new one.
>   Ths can take sseveral minutes; please be patient.
> lualatex: Unexpected condition.

Not a luaotfload thing, as I wrote previously, this could be a
buggy font. Does it terminate correctly if you run:

    luaotfload-tool --update --force --verbose=5 --dry-run

?

> But, if I try luaotfload-tool -vv, it doesn't actually print out any
> loaded fonts.  luaotfload-tool -f doesn't do anything either.

“-vv” is synonymous with --verbose=2; “-f” is --force and has no
meaning with out --update. The arguments are documented in the
manpage.

Best regards,
Philipp