[luatex] Request for Callback

Keith J. Schultz schultzk at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 09:35:51 CEST 2013

Hi Élie,

I do not much about music, let alone Gregorian chants, yet I would look
at the chants or music as natural language.

In looking at them that way your problem comes down to the use of
grammar rules. TeX to my knowledge does not facilitate this.

Hans has already said it is possible to hook into the parbuilder mechanism
as in the case of arabic. He states that it slows down the process, yet I think
that is a payable price for the automatism and ease of use that you are looking for.

Your problem reminds me of the problem of typesetting text on an arbitrary
curve and in an arbitrary shape. The processes is described in his book over MetaFun.
What you do is get the size of the gylphs and calculate the rest. It is know how long
a line of music is and thereby can calculate how many of your notes fit on a line and which
note is at the end. Then you can adjust as need. This approach may seem as overkill, but would work.

Another route you might try is to look at the MusiTeX packages and try to port them to ConTexT.
I do not know if these packages facilitate the functionality that you need, but it might be a starting
point.

regards
	Keith.