[luatex] updates to various lua* packages breaks..something.

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Thu Apr 25 10:39:24 CEST 2013

Am Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:29:13 +0200 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

>>> Thanks for the example. I can confirm those unwanted updates when
>>> fontspec includes the euenc definitions (lm).

>> I can't confirm that fontspec/euenc is involved. I get the constant
>> updates also with this example:

> It was just the first package in line to load fonts by filename,
> so it will trigger the database update while loading the Latin
> Modern fonts.

But as I wrote in my other post fontspec alone didn't trigger the
update of the font database. I had to add some math. Investigating a
bit I found an additional difference: the extension matters.
euenc loads the fonts without extension:

file:lmroman10-regular:script=latn;+trep;+tlig;

And this works fine (as does \font\test=file:arial). But
\font\test=file:lmroman10-regular.otf:script=latn;+trep;+tlig;
  or
\font\test=file:arial.ttf

triggers again the recreation of the database.

>> This I can confirm. If I use a name lookup instead
>> (\font\test=name:Arial)  there is no problem.
>
> So you can still load both OS and texmf fonts?

Yes there is no problem in using the fonts. There are all found in
the end. The only problem is the time delay due to the database
updates.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/