[luatex] updates to various lua* packages breaks..something.

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 24 10:49:14 CEST 2013

Hi Evan!

···<date: 2013-04-23, Tuesday>···<from: Evan Cooch>···

> First time posting to this list. Apologies if posts 'like this'
> should go somewhere (or to someone) else.
>
> After most recent (23 Apr) updates (I'm using MikTeX 2.9) to various

Which most recent update are you talking about? Could you please
add the output of mkluatexfontdb -V ?

> things things related to lualatex (including base), I noticed that
> compilation of anything takes twice as long as it did (say) 10
> minutes ago (i.e., before I applied the updates). Didn't take long
> to see why. Basically, now, every time I try to compile something,
> it re-runs luaotfload.
>
> luaotfload | Updating the font names database:
> luaotfload | Scanning TEXMF and OS fonts..
>
> Every time! - it should only have to do this once, but since the
> updates, it tries to do this every time I compile the same file,
> which is where the added time to compile comes from.

How do you use luaotfload? Plain or Latex? With fontspec? Could
you please post a minimal example that triggers the error with
fonts that are on CTAN? Thank you.

> Compilation itself does seem to progress 'correctly', but something
> that takes twice as long (because of what appears to be a bug
> causing luaotfload to run every time a file is compiled, is not an
> 'update'.

Probably an incorrect “file:” lookup.

> Wonder if its related to the following. If I bring up an admin cmd
> console, and run
>
> mkluatexfontdb -f -vvv
>
> I get an error:
>
> mklualatexdb: Windows API Error 5: Access is denied
> mklualatexdb: Data: C://Documents and settings

Sorry, no idea. Maybe you need to pass it to texlua?

> When I run this on my other machines - which I have not 'updated' -
> mkluatexfontdb runs fine.

Again, which version?

> Suggestions? Clearly something has been 'broken' during the update -
> at least on Windows machines running MikTeX 2.9.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reporting
Philipp