[luatex] Package luamplib

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 10:58:50 CEST 2012

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> On 2012-07-19 at 21:48:24 +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
>  > we're told that U12.10 will ship with tl2012, but fedora's
>  > tempting.  (unfortunately i don't trust my creaking old brain to
>  > look after a system that's no longer supported by the department --
>  > it's centos or ubuntu here or you're on your own.  centos has
>  > frozen a similarly ancient version of tl.)
>
> I'm using CentOS at work.  AFAIR they switched from teTeX to TL-2007
> last year (CentOs 6).  Though this TL version is ancient indeed, I had
> the impression that the rest of the distribution is more up-to-date.
> Don't know why they decided to provide such a fossil.

:-)

> On the other hand I think that an enterprise grade Linux distribution
> deserves an enterprise grade TeX Live installation.
>
> Nothing easier than that.  I installed TeX Live on the server and my
> colleagues can use it directly without the need to install or update
> anything.  Unix users have to mount it via NFS and add the bin
> directory to PATH, Windows users have to associate \\server\tex , for
> example, with a drive letter, and click w32-client.bat .  That's all.
>
> The nice thing is that I can add custom macro packages, Perl or Lua
> scripts, the company logo, etc. without the need to tell my colleagues
> how to install them.  Everything I put on the server is available
> instantaneously.  ...unless I forget to run texhash, of course.
>
> I suppose that unfortunately most people aren't aware of this
> possibility.

or don't have the means to do the job.

the best i can do (consistent with policy -- i'm a sysadmin) is to
produce a virtual machine with tl2012, to be the answer to bug reports
of the form "my latex doesn't have _this_ package" or "my pdftex doesn't
do _this_" (surprisingly frequyent).  nothing so obvious as allowing
people to self-install...  i'll be getting that going some time next
month, in time for the new academical year.