[luatex] This might have been asked: UTF-8 input from plain TeX

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Wed Feb 22 11:39:44 CET 2012

Am Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:09:58 +0100 schrieb Ingo Krabbe:

> Ok, my further problem is, that I use the font-change package too, to
> use the set of fonts from there, that map to pfb encoded fonts, of
> course as they are formerly used with plain TeX.
>
> Isn't there a way to keep that fonts for my documents, that I don't need
> to change the font sets and the visual output of the result?

In theory yes, but it is not advisable. Beside the fact that you
would have to make a lot of non-ascii input chars (like ß or €)
active to map them to the correct positions in your fonts you could
also get wrong hyphenations (the patterns assume unicode).

If you want to switch to luatex you should also switch with the text
fonts to open type fonts using unicode (math and symbols are a
different matter, there the old type 1 fonts can still be used).

--
Ulrike Fischer