[luatex] This might have been asked: UTF-8 input from plain TeX

Ingo Krabbe ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:09:58 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:02:12PM +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this might have been asked some times ago, or it might not, as the vast
> > crowd won't use enctex to write plain TeX files, but I do!
> >
> > My keyboard contains about 100 keys, where a few of them are directly
> > known to break 7-bit ascii, such as öäüÖÄÜ€ß.
> >
> > I know there are more, but my brain is too weak or too lazy to remember
> > all those alt_gr and shift+alt_gr kombinations to produce such nice
> > symbols as ¹²³¼½¬ ¡⅛£¤⅜ÆÐẞªŊ, mostly useless to TeX anyway.
> >
> > As I don't like to read the sequences \"a,\"o,\ss{} — and so on — while editing
> > my texts, I learned to use enctex and use a little charmap:
> >
> > \mubyte \adiaresis      ^^c3^^a4\endmubyte % ä
> > \mubyte \odiaresis      ^^c3^^b6\endmubyte % ö
> > \mubyte \udiaresis      ^^c3^^bc\endmubyte % ü
> > \mubyte \Adiaresis      ^^c3^^84\endmubyte % Ä
> > \mubyte \Odiaresis      ^^c3^^96\endmubyte % Ö
> > \mubyte \Udiaresis      ^^c3^^9c\endmubyte % Ü
> > \mubyte \szlig  ^^c3^^9f\endmubyte % ß
> > \def\adiaresis{\"{a}}
> > \def\odiaresis{\"{o}}
> > \def\udiaresis{\"{u}}
> > \def\Adiaresis{\"{A}}
> > \def\Odiaresis{\"{O}}
> > \def\Udiaresis{\"{U}}
> > \def\szlig{\ss{}}
> > \mubytein=1 \mubytelog=1
> >
> > So far, so easy.
> >
> > Now I want to push my source code through luatex, to give it a try and
> > anythings works fine, but of course \mubyte does not work and simply
> > disabling my \input{mubytes.tex} include does not produce the right
> > output for those special chars from my UTF-8 encoded source file.
> >
> > So what Do I need to do to make the step from producing the same output
> > from this source file:
> >
> > \input mubytes.tex
> > \footline={}
> > This is an Umlaut Test: öäüÖÄÜß.
> > \vfill\eject\bye
> >
> > (for luatex comment out or delete the first line, and plain pdftex, as I
> > use it, has to be initialized with -enc, of course, for this to work.)
> >
> > tia
> > ingo
> >
> > --
> > i don't do signatures
> If the file is utf-8, this is ok with the format build from context standalone
> and the lmroman otf
> \font\testa=file:lmroman10-regular
> \testa
> \footline={}
> This is an Umlaut Test: öäüÖÄÜß.
> \vfill\eject\bye
>
> This one loads the pfb fonts and no umlauts are shown
> \footline={}
> This is an Umlaut Test: öäüÖÄÜß.
> \vfill\eject\bye

Ok, my further problem is, that I use the font-change package too, to
use the set of fonts from there, that map to pfb encoded fonts, of
course as they are formerly used with plain TeX.

Isn't there a way to keep that fonts for my documents, that I don't need
to change the font sets and the visual output of the result?

--
i don't do signatures