[luatex] \font primitive does not read otf file

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Dec 6 23:00:19 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:24:12PM +0100, Petr Olsak wrote:

> >>Where is documented this entirely different thing? This is basic
> >>feature in TeX
> >
> >No it is a feature (or a hack) of Computer Modern fonts, TeX has no
> >special handling of any kind for `, ', ``, '', --, ---, ?` or !`.
>
> This ``hack'' is used in mostly all TeX sources (--- gives emdash)
> so no only Computer Modern fonts have these ligatures.
> Mostly all tfm's includes this ``hack''.
> The change from tfm's to direct OTF loading is no reason to name
> this as ``hack''. Note that I am using this ``hack'' in my email for
> quoting.

Which somehow makes it less hakish? The proper characters are ‘, ’, “,
”, –, —, just use them. It is 2012 after all, the 7-bit constrains that
Knuth had 30 years ago no longer exist. If you insist on that “hack”
(now that looks like a proper quote on my terminal not some ``hack'')
you are on your own.

Regards,
Khaled