[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue May 31 14:50:11 CEST 2011

On Monday, May 30, 2011 05:05:13 pm Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 30 mei 2011, at 23:04, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

Type

> > > \' and \` are pure ascii input so the file encoding doesn't matter.
> > >
> > > What matters are the definitions of the commands, the encoding of
> > > your fonts, how you are loading the fonts and other informations you
> > > are not giving.
> >
> > As previously stated I am using the Tex version of Palladio. It is
loaded
> > by these statements: \font\rm pplr8r at 10bp
> > \font\it pplri8r at 10bp
>
> At a guess: i think you want pplr8t or pplr7t here. 8t is latex t1
> encoding, 7t is plain tex ot1, 8r is adobe raw encoding. Since \' & co
are
> macros, they will expect a tex-based encoding, not an Adobe one.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Taco
In about 20 seconds my problem was solved using 7t instead of 8r. The nice
thing about TeX is that you never stop learning about it. The nicer thing
is that there are always wiser heads to educate you.

Thanks Taco. In any plain version, pdftex or luatex, I will be using 7t
from now on in, and 8t for LaTeX variants.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press