[luatex] setting lccode "automatically"

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Jun 23 12:35:42 CEST 2011

> No, and even without those local-dependent cases, it would still be
> impossible to build a correct lccode/uccode table since
> lowercasing/uppercasing one character is context-dependent and can
> result in more than one character: the uppercase of ß is SS.

Well, in this particular example, there is ... U+1E9E ! :) :)

> \lccode/\uccode (and by extension, \lowercase/\uppercase) is just not
> usable in the Unicode world.

It is actually quite usable, I think. It may not be applicable in
all 100% of cases, but it scores well above 99% of practical cases,
and that is not at all the same as not usable.

> LuaTeX might implement the casing
> algorithms (with tailoring) described in section 3.13 of the
> standard.

You do not happen to be bored and looking for something interesting
to do in the coming few weeks, by any chance?

Best wishes,
Taco