[luatex] lua script on the run

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jan 7 13:18:06 CET 2011

On 7 January 2011 Philipp Stephani wrote:

 > > This seems to be ConTeXt's way to handle it
 > > (\start&\stop<language>), afaict. Defining \texperanto and
 > > \endtexperanto would do the trick for LaTeX, if I want to use an
 > > environment.
 >
 > Yes, but languages have little to do with input any more once you
 > use Unicode.

This thread isn't about input *encodings* but input *methods*.  The
latter are not supported by Unicode.  They are usually handled by text
editors, but consider the following example:

\begin{texperanto}
Alportu ^caron de sopiro!
\end{texperanto}

\begin{VIQR} % http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1456
Tie^'ng Vie^.t
\end{VIQR}

Input methods are more related to scripts rather than to languages.
One can probably use the same input method for Russian and Ukrainian,
though both languages need different hyphenation patterns.

However, in the case discussed here, Unicode is only used by LuaTeX
internally.  The usual way to do such things is to select a proper
input method in the text editor in order to create a TeX input file
which is in UTF-8 already *before* it's fed to TeX.

But programming things like this in LuaTeX is a nice exercise though.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25