[luatex] File permissions for luatex PDF output

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Sep 6 03:41:31 CEST 2010

On 6 September 2010 Ulrik Vieth wrote:

 > P.S:  I noticed one additional thing, which may be of interest:
 > If a previous version of the PDF file exists with permissions 644,
 > the new version of the file seems to retain the permissions 644.

This makes sense.  File permissions should be retained, regardless of
umask.

Suppose you have set umask 022.
Your Mail client creates a file ~/MAILBOX with permission flags 644.

Everybody can read your mails.  Then you say

  chmod 600 ~/MAILBOX

Fine, but whenever you get a new mail and update your MAILBOX, the file
is world readable again if only umask is considered.

What you observed is what I expect.  I remember that in the mid-90ies
everybody was able to read other peoples mails, regardless of the file
permissions of the mailbox itself, backup files had permissions
according to umask.  A big mistake.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25