[luatex] Strange Ω character when using LuaTeX

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jul 23 20:29:30 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 08:53:57PM +0300, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:05:03AM -0600, Jason Stein wrote:
> > I am a high school education and intermediate LaTeX user, and was intrigued
> > with the possibility of using LuaTeX to help me create calendars. I
> > successfully got my algorithm to work (it is attached), but for some reason I
> > get an Ω character around my tikZ figures. I am using LuaTeX, Version
> > beta-0.40.6-2009100310 (TeX Live 2009). Any thoughts?
> >
> > Jason T. Stein, B. Sc. (1998), B. Ed. (2002)
>
> First, don't use luainputenc in new documents (luatex is utf-8 by
> default, so it doesn't make sense anyway). Second, use locals in your
> lua code to avoid conflicts (running your code with texlive-2010, your
> "file" clashes with lualibs "file" modules causing luaotfload errors), it
> is always good practice to limit the scope of your variables.
>
> Tat being said, I get the omegas too (IIRC this is omega/luatex default
> unknown character or something).

Actually, I think it has something to do with the new line char "\n", I
don't recall exactly, but the "\n" when passed from lua is not seen as a
new line char at tex end. Removing te two occurrences of "\n" in your
code will git ride of the omegas. If you want to pass new lines to tex,
why not doing tex.print() in the substrings directly instead of
concatenating every thing first.

Regards,
 khaled

--