[luatex] On category code tables

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 16:21:01 CEST 2010

On 11/07/2010 07:42, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 2010-07-11 07:21:41 +0930, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>
> said:
>
>> Those two packages are currently incompatible, but Heiko and I plan to
>> merge them soon, we just didn't have the time for now. (IMO, we're likely
>> to adopt Heiko's mechanism.)
>
> Great.
>
>> (By the way, can we hope to see it handled at the kernel level in a
>> future l3kernel?)
>
> My personal opinion is that this should be handled by the lualatex.ini
> file, analogously to what happens with XeLaTeX's interchartoks class
> allocations.

I'm with Will here as far as LaTeX2e goes: the current situation is
sub-optimal as you can't be sure (as a package author) what might have
happened before \usepackage{...}. Two different packages with
incompatible approaches is also not good.

At a pure LaTeX3 level, things are different, and there should be a
kernel-based mechanism. Expect one to appear in the SVN version of expl3
over the next few days :-) (It will be Heiko's one reworked, I think.)

> But if not, and people start/continue to use the expl3 syntax for
> programming LuaLaTeX packages, then I think we could expect an l3luatex
> module for expl3 turn up eventually. While the lualatex packages provide
> the necessary features for now, however, I think it's sensible to call
> them the "supported" way to do things.

For l3in2e I'm all for simply requiring existing packages that do the
job, as it keeps down the chance of clashes.
--
Joseph Wright