[luatex] luatextra font system

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Sat Mar 14 12:12:26 CET 2009

Am Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:19:24 +0100 schrieb Elie Roux:

>>     The main problem with EU1 encoding, is that it's XeTeX oriented,
>>     so it calls fonts with the XeTeX syntax, which means
>>     \font="[file]" for files in the TDS. I don't really understand why
>>     XeTeX did such an incompatible font syntax,

Incompatible to who? XeTeX *extended* the standard \font syntax to
handle the loading of open type fonts but the syntax for all fonts
that pdftex and raw luatex can handle too is unchanged.

With a font callback luatex can be enable to handle also open types
fonts. It shouldn't be a problem (as far as I know context/mkiv)
contains already the necessary code) to write this font back in a
way that enables luatex to handle also font syntax of XeTeX.

>> nonsense.

> That's true, it's not really the eu1 encoding itself, but more the
> eu1*.fd files (for lmroman for example). The problem is we can't have
> two eu1lmr.fd in the TDS... so they'll need to be adapted, so euenc.dtx
> need to be adapted...

As long as the lua+latex code needed to load and handle the open
type fonts is not there it doesn't make much sense to think about
fd-files. But even if lualatex settles on a extended font syntax for
open type and/or system fonts incompatible to the XeTeX-syntax the
eu1*.fd-files are a quite small problem. They are not vital, the
declaration of the lmodern fonts could be done with fontspec
commands or luatex use EU2 as generic encoding name.

And in no case generate a lot of eu1*.fd-files. As you can see if
you look at xetex/fontspec there are quite unnecessary. Also you
will never be able to generate all entries for all possible
combinations of open type features. (fontspec generates the entries
on the fly and use counters in the family name to distinguish
different variants.)

If you really want to improve font handling in lualatex you could
write the necessary code so that until unicode fonts can be used
with luatex non-ascii input works with TS1,T1....-fonts.

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\begin{document}