[luatex] lua-inputenc

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 16 10:28:13 CET 2009

Elie Roux wrote:
> Hans Hagen a écrit :
>> i don't know how latex handles that, but why not just overloading the
>> write-to-aux (or whatever) macros, intercept the to-be-written string
>> and convert it; it's the only controlled way since changing 'all'
>> writes will mess up other things (like files that users write)
>
> That would be a solution, but I think the most consistent thing would be
> that (in this case), LuaTeX reads and write all its files in the same
> encoding: if a user works in latin1, he will want the files he writes to
> be in latin1 too... Isn't there a way to do so?

no, because in many cases one writes files directly via the lua io
library; i remember that we considered a callback but decided that it
would become too messy; there is in tex detailed control over the kin
dof file that is read (tex files vs font files for instance) but writing
can be anything.

actually, since you already do something with the input, i suppose that
you could easilly do it there: you can check if an aux file is opened
(look at suffix), then set some flag, and treat its data in a special way